you're reading...
Veganism, Vegetarianism

Eating Well During the Holidays!

Ah, holiday time is here, and for most of us, that means a time to feast.   I’ve been feasting even a bit more than usual, as this year’s holiday has also matched up with my 40th birthday – which means it’s been celebrations a-plenty.  At these times – in fact, at all times – good food is essential.  Thankfully, over the past few years, making good vegan food has gotten easier than ever, primarily because of one woman: Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Who is this person?   Well, let’s look at what I’ve been feasting on lately, and it will come into focus.  For my birthday, it was delectable chocolate mocha and also rum and raisin(!) cupcakes.  Both earned rave reviews, but the kudos belonged to Moskowitz, whose amazing book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World was the inspiration.   Of course man cannot live by cupcake alone, so we also had Lemondrop and Chocolate Mint Icebox (with real pieces of mint tucked in) cookies.   Again, these were off-the-chart delicious, and everyone – vegan and non-vegan alike – dug in.  These beauties came from Moskowitz’ latest book, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.

Moskowitz’ genius is not restricted to sweets.  Her Veganomicon, pictured above, is an amazing cook book filled with suggestions for every day of the week – a lifeline for new vegans looking to get out of an eating rut.  Still, for my money, her must-have book is also her newest: Vegan Brunch, a superb little collection that will have you creating all sorts of new traditions.  Yesterday, we started a new Christmas brunch tradition with Cocoa-Raspberry muffins (yummier than you’d believe) and yes, an alternative main dish.  Hey, I love tofu scramble as much as the next guy, but aren’t there some good savoury alternatives?  Well, there are now, yesterday my wife and I enjoyed an amazing Tofu Sausage Pepper omelette, and my mouth is watering just thinking about it.  Moskowitz managed to come up with a silken tofu/chickpea flour mixture that comes very close to duplicating the egg itself.  It takes a little work to put together, but well worth it.

Next Christmas is obviously some way off, but if you’re looking for some gift suggestions for the vegan in your life – look no further.   Moskowitz and her post-punk kitchen is turning the vegan cooking world upside down.   Indeed, though we have many vegan cook books, none get more use than the four Moskowitz books currently inhabiting our world.  Vegan Cupcakes take over the world indeed!

Note: I’m not sure if these books are available at NZ bookstores, but Amazon will ship them from overseas.   We’ve purchased all four that way.

Advertisements

Discussion

9 thoughts on “Eating Well During the Holidays!

1. I have seen Veganomicon at Unity Books and Borders. I believe the SAFE shop also has a good selection.

Posted by David Tong | 26 December 2009, 9:13 am
  2. making vegan cupcakes is not going to make one shred of difference to animals or there plight its just more feel good fluffy ,we need action not more words and cookbooks or blogs ,action can be just doing a stall ,do something!

Posted by resist | 1 January 2010, 9:10 am
  3. Isa Chandra Moskowitz, and the development of better vegan options, will do more to make a difference to the life of animals than 5000 stalls, petitions or demos. In the long run, developing palatable vegan options as part of getting a larger vegan community, is an essential part of the “action” you speak of. Blogs, words and cookbooks all have a role to play. I’ve been part of many demos, stalls and speeches, and though I think they are a part of the “solution”, so is the rest of it. We are, person by person, “doing something”, as you eloquently put it.

Posted by Peter Sankoff | 1 January 2010, 10:50 am
  4. You obviously did not bother to read the post on indymedia.

Posted by resist | 1 January 2010, 12:50 pm
    • Resist: You are obviously sympathetic to revolutionary rhetoric, because that is all the Indymedia article contained.

The logic is simple: People going vegan helps animals. Better vegan food options make people more likely to go vegan. Therefore better vegan food options indirectly help animals.

It’s not a revolution, but if we decided to hold our breaths for a revolution, we’d suffocate ourselves.

Also: What’s the difference between a blog and stall, or between a cookbook and a leaflet? Both are words designed to educate others to promote animal rights/liberation directly and indirectly.

We need pragmatism, not tired cliches and revolutionary pipedreams.

Posted by David Tong | 4 January 2010, 3:03 pm
  5. Read the post. Stand by my comments.

Posted by Peter Sankoff | 1 January 2010, 6:00 pm
  6. I used doing a stall as an example of what someone can do ,the gist of that article is that most vegans or whatever do nothing ,its not tired cliches or empty rhetoric at all ,its about hopefully getting ppl active and that is pragmatism .Baking cup cakes does nothing to help animals ,just because it makes you feel good and fluffy.

Posted by resist | 6 January 2010, 7:46 am
  7. Ok ,I read the article and personally I think theres some truth in it and it is worthy reading .I think doing a stall in town is great ,it lets the general public come up face to face and to chat etc ,I mean how many joe blows are going to rush out and buy a vegan cook book or log onto a vegan blog.Having said that we need a variety of tactics.

Posted by samone | 6 January 2010, 8:35 am
  8. Ok, let’s say you do put up a stall. Then what? How to attract people’s attention? Why not have a stall stocked with tasty vegan cupcakes that will draw people near, and show that eating vegan is tasty and healthy. And it will get the carnivores feeling good and fluffy too! 🙂

Posted by resistance is futile | 6 January 2010, 11:13 am