Let’s just start with something that isn’t totally about animal rights. Some of you might remember me linking to GreenIsTheNewRed articles about non-violent activists being labelled terrorists. Well, things are at a bit of the 180 now. An English member of the European Parliament, Godfrey Bloom, has congratulated the French spies who bombed the Rainbow Warrior in the Waitemata Harbour. John Key PM refused to comment.
- Meanwhile, as Bloom celebrates the sinking of a Greenpeace vessel and Key dithers, Japanese whalers have again rammed a Sea Shepherd vessel in the Southern Ocean.
- Oh, and whaling isn’t the only animal-based ‘research’ that doesn’t really…work.
- For example, Iran has launched ‘a rodent, turtles and worms to 500 kilometres above the Earth‘. Apparently, this will either help Iran launch astronauts into space, or…launch ballistic missiles. I’m not entirely sure how orbital animals could be weaponised…
- But we need ‘research’, or else we wouldn’t have worked out all the great things we can do to meat before it hits the supermarket.
- Gary Francione has posted numerous excellent pieces recently. He has:
- Demolished Ingrid Newkirk of PETA’s defence of welfarism.
- Meditated and reflected upon the lessons we can take from Gandhi.
- Examined one of Peter Singer’s and PETA’s Ingrid Newkirks crazier claims (about…bestiality): ‘And You Wonder Why the Public Thinks That “Animal Rights” People Are Crazy?’ I mean, Ms Newkirk, ‘When is sex with a nonhuman not exploitation and abuse?’
- Linked to an essay of his, soon to be published, on whether vegetarianism is a gateway to veganism? (Hey, vegetarians – is it?)
- I’m not completely against Peter Singer though, and hope to see him speak during his NZ visit. Pity I don’t live in Wellington.
- Veganism is ‘girly‘, just like cooking, or being intimate with your girlfriend. Um, right.
That’s just…stupid! It’s stupid! Gah! It’s such a ridiculous division of the world into the stereotypically masculine and the stereotypically feminine with policing to remind us that men must never be feminine. Ever! And women, stop emasculating men!
- A woman unambiguously struck a dolphin with an oar. Any prosecution? No! Why not? Because the ‘legal and social issues are not straightforward when we are dealing with a dolphin [who] seeks out human interaction’. How does this logic even work? Dogs seek actively seek out human interaction, right? So do…cats. That never stopped the SPCA from prosecuting, so why does it stop DOC? Perhaps they could have tried…researching possibly comparable animal welfare cases.
- Though, of course, there are problems with giving a charity the job of enforcing the law: ‘RSCPA Botches SA Cruelty Case‘.
- China appears likely to introduce an anti-cruelty law. I know little else, but I’m almost shocked that they don’t already have one.
- Switzerland is voting on whether animals should get legal representation.
- Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy is calling for papers for a special issue on ‘animal others’. Papers are due in 2011, so if anyone’s interested, you have plenty of time to research and right.
- Lest I be accused of opposing science, let’s have a look at the results of some investigation of ‘Animal Cultures‘.